We offer extensive coaching in an exciting classical chamber music environment for ensembles and instrumentalists playing the following instruments and more:
Congratulations to everyone who participated in the 2016 Course and whose dedication, enthusiasm and joyous music - making made it such a success
Our Chamber Music Summer Course is going into its 20th summer long weekend. We take much trouble to offer a worthwhile experience and set a very high standard. A vibrant atmosphere is engendered by the genuine interest of the enthusiastic folk who find their way to us together with the intensive coaching lavished by non - judgmental and encouraging teachers.
The Course welcomes enthusiasts of all ages. For those coming as an ensemble, Elizabeth arranges a programme of coaching tailor-made to fit the repertoire; experienced players 'freelancing' , that is, instrumentalists seeking an ensemble, are matched for partners with great care by Elizabeth's bearing in mind desired repertoire and standard; the resulting ensemble enjoys the same individualised programme of coaching, one which reflects the combined wishes of its members.
This delicate, exclusive insight is carried forward by the Course director into the Course itself so that participants can benefit from the friendly, non-competitive arrangements whilst having the opportunity to mix with kindred spirits and, in a calm, spacious setting, enjoy the close attention to their playing of marvellous coaches who give unstinting time.
Our Music Summer School is distinguished by and is unique for the very high number of hours of coaching ( 9.00am - 6.30pm and beyond) afforded by an exceptional teaching commitment from internationally renowned artists. We aim to assemble a limited number of participants at any one time to keep the atmosphere intimate whilst optimising the make-up and coaching of the ensembles. This modest number of participants allows us all to re-create, in our modern frenetic time, the timelessness and sociability of the 'salon' with its semi-private music-making.
The 2017 Course hosted by Tonbridge School offers:
- Modern facilities in an appealing site on the edge of a charming town in some of England’s most beautiful countryside, approximately 30 miles from the historic town of Hastings on the South coast with its lovely beaches (direct train)
- An extra day at a greatly - discounted price
- A Steinway - designated school, with modern, well-maintained piano provision including 4 Steinway grands and 2 from the Boston and Essex ranges;
- Attractive rehearsal settings including a lovely Chapel, an art Gallery and purpose - built recital rooms;modernised residential facilities;
- Individual membership of the Leisure Club for the duration of your stay with access to equipment and the swimming pool as convenient.
All the different rehearsal facilities are available from 7.00am enabling individual and ensemble practice before the first coaching of the day or indeed simply for the pleasure of it. Typically ensembles will alternate coaching sessions with periods of private practice.
Please see the information under the heading Detailed Course Description for the outline daily schedule of events.
The recent participation of student and young professional musicians in ensembles has been much valued and appreciated - to be continued!